Sunday, September 03, 2006

FACE LIFT:

My new novel FACE LIFT is published this week by Ocean House Press. Now begins the painstaking business of promotion, promotion, promotion. My new home page should be up shortly: www.david-callinan.com. Meanwhile I am waiting for my next book BODYSWITCH to be proofed.

In FACE LIFT I explore the power of beauty and its ability to transfix and obsess. It is also a story of the ultimate revenge - taking over someone else's complete life and fortune.

I am still waiting hopefully for my US literary agent to interest a publisher in another and potentially disturbingly controversial book, AN ANGEL ON MY SHOULDER. Problem is, this is based on a true story where I am the observer and writer of another's quite terrifying but uplifing experience.

A man is visited by angels and told he has been chosen to write a book dictated by a person he describes as the new Messiah (Christian) or Mahdi (Islam) who cannot read or write. This person is destined to transform all religions, beliefs and value systems and set mankind on the path of transformation to a higher plane of existence. This is why, in today's climate, this book could be a hot potato or tomale.

Can an editor divorce themselves long enough from a knee-jerk reaction to really look at this story and face its implications head on? If true, and I am just a fascinated observer, it could be the biggest story in the world. This is said in all humility and has nothing to do with a kind of subliminal promotion (if that's what your'e thinking). It will need a brave editor to take it on. There must be some brave editors out there somewhere.

1 comment:

Zigory said...

Is "An Angel on My Shoulder" already written or just a proposal at this point? I would love to read a book with a story like that. It sounds fascinating. I'd love to know what the message from the Messiah-type character, dictating to the writer, would be. If "The Da Vinci Code"--which questions assumptions about religion--is acceptable to huge numbers of people, your book should be as well!